Dental Exams and X-Rays in Norwood
In most problematic situations, it is usually best to discover the issue as early as possible and dental issues are no different. People are advised to visit their dentist at least twice a year. This will help to ensure that any dental problems will be discovered as early as possible. By visiting the dentist, one can confirm that they have adequate oral hygiene habits, as well as ensure that their smile is healthy and beautiful.
How it's done
The first step in a dental exam typically entails a visual check-up. The dentist usually examines the mouth using specialized dental tools, and will look-up for decaying and/or cracked teeth. During a check-up exam, typically dentists will take x-rays.
During the visit, the dentist will conclude a number of steps:
· Medical History Review: First, the doctor will inquire about any recent illnesses, diseases, and/or medical conditions. Most people don’t realize that these conditions can negatively effect oral health as well.
· Examination of tooth decay: This is part of the first step of the check-up. Dentists will use visual aids to see all angles and views of a patient’s mouth. This will enable them to detect an early on-set of tooth decay, as well as cracked teeth.
· Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
· Gum disease evaluation: If left untreated, periodontal disease can lead to many severe issues. Part of the checkup includes examining the gums and bone around the teeth to ensure that they are healthy and strong.
· Examination of existing restorations: If you have had any previous dental work, such as fillings, crowns, etc., your dentist will check to make sure that everything is still intact.
Additionally, your dentist will take diagnostic x-rays to reveal any other hidden problems, especially in the areas below the gums. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken every 12 months and a panographic x-ray, which revolves around the head, is taken every 3-5 years.