Dental Implant Surgery in Norwood MA
Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth. They require a titanium support be surgically imported into the gums and jawbone. This will serve as the anchor for the implant. Dental implants generally are generally used for individual tooth replacement, as well as for an alternative to dentures. They are matched with the patients individual tooth coloring and have a natural appearance.
Advantages of dental implants
- Implants are extremely natural looking.
- Fusion of the implants into your jaw make them very stable and comfortable compared to traditional dentures.
- They last a lifetime.
Disadvantages of dental implants
- Implants are expensive and a major financial investment.
- The process of getting implants can be time-consuming and requires multiple visits to the dentist.
- There is a slim chance the surgery will fail (roughly 5% of the time).
Types of implants
Your dentist will be able to tell you which of the three types of implants is right for you:
- Root form implant: This is the most common type of implant in which the screw is shaped like the root of a tooth.
- Plate Form Implant: A plate form implant consists of a flat and long shape and is better suited for a narrow jawbone.
- Subperiosteal Implants: In some cases where there is not enough bone width or height, for the root form or plate form implant, a subperiosteal implant may be prescribed. This type of implant is designed to sit on top of the bone but under the gums.