Routine dental cleanings are equally important for children as for adults—maybe even more important, as they begin teaching the benefits of good oral hygiene from a young age, which can result in a lifetime of healthy smiles.
Professional dental cleanings (also called prophylaxis) help keep teeth free from plaque build-up and allow our dentists to monitor overall oral health, which in turn can prevent future gum disease and tooth decay. In addition to a complete exam of teeth and gums, your child’s cleaning appointment will include the following:
- Plaque removal: Plaque is a sticky, colorless film consisting of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. It’s important to remove plaque to prevent the formation of tartar and keep gums and teeth strong and healthy.
- Tartar removal: Otherwise known as calculus, this is hardened plaque that accumulates on the tooth surface both above and below the gum line. If present, tartar can be gently scraped away during the cleaning.
- Tooth polishing: Professional polishing removes any remaining stains to leave your child’s teeth feeling glossy and smooth, making it more difficult for bacteria to accumulate.
- Fluoride application: Your dentist might recommend a fluoride treatment, if needed, to give added strength to tooth enamel.
- Personalized education: You and your child will be provided with practical information, based on your specific situation, about your child’s oral health development, proper home care techniques, nutrition, and more.
Cleanings are important, non-invasive, preventative measures that are also a great way to help your child feel comfortable with having regular dental care. Our dentists and hygienists are pediatric specialists with years of experience making dental visits as fun and informative as possible by engaging children in the process and giving them easy-to-understand information all along the way.
The frequency of your child’s prophylaxis will be assessed according to their individual situation. As with any other treatment, good oral hygiene practices are recommended following your dental cleaning.
Feel free to contact us at our Norwood office with any questions or to schedule a cleaning. We proudly serve Norwood, Walpole, and surrounding areas.