Invisalign® Vs. Braces
Traditional metal braces are probably what you think of when orthodontic treatment comes to mind. This form of orthodontic treatment has been the standard because it provides for an efficient process. Some of the reasons why you might want to consider (or not consider) braces include the following:
Pros of Braces
- They are an effective and proven treatment method.
- They are made of stainless steel/ceramic, making them very durable.
- You don’t have to worry about losing them or not wearing them enough.
- Braces are the optimal choice for more complicated orthodontic problems.
Cons of Braces
- Because they are cemented to teeth and comprised of brackets and wires, they can be obtrusive and may cause discomfort.
- Braces allow for more places in your mouth for food to get trapped and potentially cause tooth decay or gum disease if you do not brush and floss well.
- When you wear braces, there are foods you should avoid—specifically foods that are hard or sticky.
- Brushing and flossing will take longer due to having to brush and floss around the braces’ wires.
Pros & Cons of Invisalign
Invisalign is known as the alternative to braces. Instead of using metal wires and brackets to shift your teeth, Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable aligner trays. These aligners are meant to be worn in a designated order. You’ll wear the first set for two weeks and after that, move onto the next set. As you continue this process, your teeth will gradually begin shifting and once you reach the last set of aligners, you will have a beautiful smile and the self-confidence to show that smile every day.
Pros of Invisalign
- The aligners are clear, making Invisalign a virtually invisible orthodontic treatment process.
- Invisalign aligners are removable, which is convenient and helps maintain good oral hygiene. This is also important if you play sports or a musical instrument.
- You can eat whatever you want whenever you want. Since you remove the aligners before eating; there are no restrictions and no worrying about possibly breaking anything.
- Cleaning your teeth is as simple as it has always been. There is no special toothbrush or floss needed.
- You can remove the aligners in Invisalign whenever you want as long as you wear them for about 22 hours a day.
- The plastic in the aligners allow for a more comfortable orthodontic treatment.
Cons of Invisalign
- The aligners need to be brushed daily to prevent food or anything acidic from getting trapped inside your aligners and pressing against your teeth for prolonged periods of time.
- The treatment won’t work unless you wear it for 22 hours a day, because with less wear your teeth will not move.
- Invisalign doesn’t always work on more complicated orthodontic problems. However, Invisalign may be combined with some appliances fixed to the teeth to correct difficult problems prior to starting Invisalign.
To find out more about Invisalign or to schedule a consultation, please contact us at our dental office. Epic Dental proudly serves Norwood, Walpole, and surrounding areas.